European Summer School in Evidence-Based Public Health
The EBPH Consortium
Dr Daniel Pope
BSc, MSc, PhD
Dr Eva Rehfuess
BA, MA(Oxon), PhD
If you wish to contact us in relation to The EBPH Summer School please email or call Daniel Pope on:
t: +44 (0)151 794 5522
3rd European Summer School in Evidence-Based Public Health
4th to 8th JULY 2016
Pettenkofer School of Public Health, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich, Munich
About the European Summer School in Evidence-Based Public Health
The idea for this Summer School was conceived during an international workshop on “Evidence-Based Public Health: Concepts and Methods“ (www.evidencebasedpublichealth.de) held at the University of Munich in November 2010. Following on from direct and indirect feedback from this workshop and through consultation with international colleagues working in public health and evidence synthesis, a distinct requirement for Evidence Based Public Health training was identified.
In response to this need for training the European Summer School Evidence-Based Public Health series has evolved as a collaboration between The University of Munich (Dr Eva Rehfuess) and The University of Liverpool (Dr Daniel Pope). Including eminent speakers in the field of Evidence Based Public Health this first Summer School will take place at The Department of Public Health and Policy within the University of Liverpool. It will provide (i) an overview of the principles of evidence based public health, (ii) training in the conduct of systematic reviews and meta-analyses related to public health interventions and research, (iii) a review of approaches to developing evidence-based recommendations and (iv) a contemporary overview examining how evidence can be translated into policy and practice.
The first Summer School was held at the University of Liverpool in July 2013 and was a great success. The event received very positive feedback with a recommedation that the Summer School be scheduled as a regular event and opened up for wider registration in 2014. The 3rd Summer School will be held in Munich between 4th to 8th July, 2016.
The Summer School is ideal for:
• Researchers planning to undertake systematic reviews of public health interventions or working on other aspects of evidence-based public health,
• Mid-career professionals working in public health institutions,
• Students undertaking a Masters in Public Health or Epidemiology and wishing to embark on a career in evidence-based public health.
Learning Objectives and Methods
The European Summer School on Evidence-Based Public Health has the following objectives:
1. To learn about the principles of the evolving field of evidence-based public health through the use of working examples of public health systematic reviews and interventions.
2. To understand the process, conduct and dissemination of systematic reviews and meta-analyses in public health research.
3. To discuss methods of developing evidence-based recommendations using, for example, the GRADE approach.
4. To appreciate challenges and approaches to translating evidence in public health into policy and practice.
The Summer School includes:
• Keynote presentations from experts in the field of evidence-based public health.
• Instruction in the conduct of systematic reviews and meta-analyses using examples that cover a variety of public health areas.
• Small group exercises and practice sessions in critical appraisal, analysis of public health interventions, meta-analysis and application of research evidence in decision making.
• An expert corner to address delegate’s questions in relation to their own research (at the end of each day).
To take part in the Summer School please complete the registration form found on our German website (www.evidencebasedpublichealth.de) and return to Jacob Burns (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will provide instruction about payment options for registration.